I think these built-ins actually took the most time out of anything we did, even building new walls, but they turned out even better than we imagined. :)
The "plans" were literally drawn by me, quite roughly, on a sheet of notebook paper and then we improvised as we went along.
To me, this space was screaming for something like this. We had the bulkhead that made a perfect spot for a television, a small space to the right for shelving and then just made the same size shelving on the left.
I wish I could provide some kind of tutorial for this, but there really isn't one. We were winging it the entire time and just thankful that it turned out so well. I'm not joking when I say winging it. Ryan was originally going to build the doors himself, but we LUCKED out when I found some ready-made doors at Menards that actually fit our openings.
Everything is built out of 3/4" MDF. The 3/4" probably wasn't necessary, but we wanted something quite sturdy. It is built on a base made out of 2x4s.
Just as a refresher, this is what we were dealing with before, a whole lotta nothing:
And after :)
You can see here how the middle section is a little deeper than the bookshelves.
I am beyond thrilled with the final product and with all of the soon-to-be organized storage we have. Space for board games! Space for those pesky DVDs! Extra toy storage!
I'm in love.
Now, I just need to get some fun stuff on those shelves!
I'm linking up:
Between Naps on the Porch